The sheer range of clothing coupled with outrageously low prices has made a holiday in Sri Lanka synonymous with clothes shopping in Colombo. From small boutiques selling hand-made clothes, batik fabrics to shopping malls dedicated only to clothes to brand names like Mango, Kelly Felder, Giordano and Nike among others. Places like Odel, House of Fashion and Majestic City mall are part of a city tour and tourists and locals alike rub shoulders in looking for the quality clothes at a fraction of the price. Gem and jewellery plays a major role in the socio-economic history of the island a myriad of precious and semi- precious stones can be found adorning the windows of numerous jewelers and lapidarists. shopping in Colombo
Some of the better known shopping malls are:
- Barefoot Gallery offers bright hand-loomed textiles fashioned into bedspreads, cushions, serviettes, textile-covered notebooks, lampshades and albums as well as a large selection of stylish, simple clothing.
- Crescat Boulevard offers high-end retail shops for the discerning buyer. It is is in close proximity to the Galle Face beach and the exclusive range of retail stores feature designer jewellery, designer wear, watches, cosmetics, mobile phones, internet cafe, tea leaves and shoes along with a range of shops catering to locally produced handicrafts and batik shops. It houses a food court holding an array of diverse cuisine and also provides a conveniently placed and spacious parking area. shopping in Colombo
- House of Fashion is a very popular choice of mall for both Sri Lankans and foreign visitors alike. It offers an enormous selection of quality products at extremely affordable prices. Clothes for infants, toddlers, children, teenagers as well as adults can be found here. Other products like toys, sports goods, baby items, bath towels and mats, fashion accessories, magazines, books, home decorations etc can also be purchased at affordable prices. They are expanding and are currently in the process of opening one of the largest malls in Sri Lanka and will house designer wear at very affordable prices along with a host of other merchandise.
- Laksala, Lakpahana and Lanka Hands are stores that offer a wide range of Sri Lankan handicrafts ranging from products made out of coconut to terracotta figurines, batik fabrics and many more.
- Liberty Plaza is conveniently located in the heart of Colombo 3 making it highly accessible from all part of the city. It is a multi-storey shopping complex with stores that offer a multitude of merchandise like clothes, bags, shoes, cosmetics, accessories, toy shops, a range of DVD’s and other formats for music and movie lovers, electronic equipment, tea leaves as well as jewellery at affordable prices. With ample parking space and a large size supermarket offering a comprehensive range of imported as well as local goods is located in the basement of the complex. shopping in Colombo
- Majestic City houses retail stores offering a comprehensive range of clothes, electronic items, various handicrafts and furniture items, shoes, books, watches, cosmetics, accessories, locally produced handicrafts and batik shops as well as a range of DVD’s and other formats for music and movie lovers. There is a pool hall, a multi – movie theatre complex and numerous internet cafes. The food court offers a variety of food of different cuisines like the Sri Lankan cuisine, Malaysian cuisine, Thai cuisine, Chinise cuisine, Mongolian cuisine to the more contemporary burgers, fried Chicken and pizzas.
- Odel Houses the latest and most fashionable trends and is the premier shopping destination when it comes to clothes. Odel blends the best of sophistication and style offering an unrivalled choice of fashion and lifestyle products like clothes, accessories, bags, watches, perfumes, cosmetics, handicrafts, a book and CD corner, a candy and chocolate store, a home-ware section, pet corner, tea, florist, toys, bath products in an ambience that is elegant, cosy, casual and definitely stylish. There are an extensive range of dining options, a hair salon, sushi bar and an Italian ice cream parlor.